Resources for Housing Help

MHP is an advocacy, research, and community development organization. We don’t own or manage housing or provide referrals to people looking for housing.

MHP no longer administers the Crisis Housing Fund (provides short-term housing assistance to people with a serious mental illness who are receiving inpatient or residential mental health care or Substance Use Disorder treatment for 90 days or less) – it is now administered by The Arc, Minnesota.

Below are some additional resources that may be useful if you need housing help. 

Minnesota Housing Finance Agency

Minnesota Housing provides a list of resources and contact information to help people who need rental assistance, affordable rental housing, or shelter. 

Housing Benefits 101 

Housing Benefits 101 is a website that includes information on how to access homeless services in your county, keep your housing, and change your home. You can also call, email, or chat online with resource experts. 


HousingLink keeps lists of subsidized housing options available in Minnesota. Tip: Keep track of the places you apply. If you’re on a waiting list for a housing unit or voucher, make sure to periodically update your contact information to ensure you can be reached. 

211 United Way 

211 United Way provides referrals for a range of services including food, shelter, and transportation. 

Family Homeless Prevention and Assistance Program 

The Family Homelessness Prevention and Assistance Program can sometimes provide rental or energy assistance to help prevent utility shut-offs or an eviction. 

HOME Line 

HOME Line is a free legal help hotline for renters.  

The National Council on Aging (NCOA)

The National Council on Aging (NCOA) has created a Downsizing for Aging in Place Guide to help people considering a smaller home they plan to grow older in. The resource provides guidance and tips on; Choosing the right downsized home for different needs, fall prevention and features for a safe environment, and resources to help people clear out their homes and prepare for the move

Other legal help

Energy Assistance Program

The Energy Assistance Program pays up to $2,000 towards heat, power and water costs, and is free for all eligible households. 

MN Homeownership Center 

Get advice for buying a home, foreclosure, and more.  

Community Action partners (each county should have this)

  • Hennepin—952-983-9639
  • Ramsey/Washington—651-645-6445

Faith Groups

  • Lutheran Social Services
  • Catholic Charities
  • Zacah—(Muslim)  651-456-8891
  • Jewish Family Service

  Public Schools -Emergency assistance

  • Stable Homes, Stable Schools (MPLS)
  • St. Louis Park Schools

Emergency Housing Guide with resources throughout the US