Join our team! MHP seeks Director of Communications
We are searching for a Director of Communications to identify, create and implement communications strategies that promote the organization’s priorities on affordable housing and community development.
Affordable housing can be complicated. The job of the Director of Communications is to make it simple, accessible, and compelling. We are looking for a creative Director of Communications who has data visualization and design skills, energy, good-humor, and a passionate commitment to grow MHP’s reputation and value to the affordable housing policy community in Minnesota and beyond.
Minnesota Housing Partnership (MHP) convenes, guides, and supports a diversity of partners working to improve conditions of home and community. Building on decades of experience, we strengthen development capacity and promote policies that expand opportunity, especially for people at the lowest income levels.
- Ensure information about MHP and its programs, as well as related research, is communicated to audiences in Minnesota and beyond in a timely, accurate, and compelling manner.
- Create strategy for and oversee all communications work, including online, print, social, and traditional media. Create other communications collateral for the organization’s efforts in policy, capacity building, and MHP as a whole.
- Maintain and grow MHP’s reputation as the premier information source on affordable housing in Minnesota. Develop and implement organizational communications plan with assistance from other staff and consultants as needed.
- Ensure quality and up-to-date information on MHP’s website, social media, and other online communications. Utilize a variety of media formats – digital, print, social media, mass-communications, etc.
- Coordinate and edit MHP Connect and Capitol Connect blogs, enews, earned media, and press releases.
- Create and implement media strategies, including development of key media relationships. Drive earned media and press releases. Manage media inquiries, conduct interviews with media reporters or arrange for interviews of others including prepping staff or board as needed.
- Create engaging and aesthetically compelling design of reports, publications, and other collateral materials as needed.
- Create strategy for and oversee research. Ensure it is presented in accessible, usable, and compelling ways to reach a wide variety of users.
- Drive strategy for MHP’s research agenda, to support policy and advocacy priorities and to supplement work of MHP’s community development department.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of housing data and trends for Minnesota and translate that knowledge into usable data points for presentations and reference.
- Maintain and develop knowledge of basic research methods. Provide constructive critical and analytical feedback to inform and guide the work of the Research Officer at key phases in the research process including report development, writing, and review.
- Based on MHP research, create regular research and data reports (as needed) for MHP including County Profiles, Legislative District Profiles, and the State of the State’s housing.
- Analyze new data releases (Out of Reach, American Community Survey, etc.) and create associated reports.
- Provide strategic direction and support for the organization as a key member of MHP’s senior leadership team. Support a collaborative leadership approach to guiding, managing and holding MHP accountable to outcomes and impact.
- Cultivate relationships and pursue partnerships with subject matter experts in affordable housing and community development that inform and strengthen MHP communications and research and provide new and diverse perspectives.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, writing or related field or equivalent professional experience.
- Minimum seven years of demonstrated success in communications, media, and/or research fields.
- Experience in nonprofit operations/management and/or community development. Knowledge of policy environment and political considerations.
- Experience with supervising and motivating talented staff to support and drive organization goals and outcomes.
- Ability to tell a compelling story to diverse audiences, from tenants to bankers to legislators.
- Must be a gifted writer, with a strong set of analytical skills.
- Strategic leader who is able to build authentic relationships across diverse stakeholders.
- Data visualization skills are essential; must be able to gather, analyze, and present accurate and compelling data.
- Graphic design expertise including proficiency in utilizing Adobe InDesign and Adobe Illustrator.
- Strong collaboration skills and the desire to be a part of a diverse team.
- Commitment to race equity, and accountability to organizational and programmatic outcomes.
- Must display diplomacy, professionalism, tact, and commitment to MHP mission and values.
- Efficient multi-tasker with flexibility in adapting to short deadlines and a fast-paced environment.
Reports to – Executive Director
Direct reports – 1) Communications Officer and 2) Research Officer. This position also supervises interns as appropriate.
The salary range for this position is $60-75K/annually. MHP offers a robust benefits package and flexible work schedule, including the ability to occasionally work remotely.
Please email resume and cover letter, with “Director of Communications” in the subject line, to LoriBrandtHR@gmail.com.
Minnesota Housing Partnership is committed to social, racial, gender and economic justice. We strongly encourage persons of color, LGBT individuals, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.