Join MHP for Opportunity Zones 101: First Steps for Local Communities and Investors
How can Opportunity Zones be a useful investment tool for your community? Please join Minnesota Housing Partnership for an Opportunity Zones 101 conference call!
Opportunity Zones 101: First Steps for Local Communities and Investors
Wednesday, August 22, 10-11 am
Conference call: (800) 220-9875; code: 24167074
*Please click here to register!*
We are excited to feature:
- Mayor Emily Larson, City of Duluth
- Amy McCulloch, Deputy Director, Twin Cities LISC and Pam Kramer, Executive Director of Duluth LISC
- Ryan Baumtrog, Assistant Commissioner of Minnesota Housing.
Opportunity Zones are a new community development program established by Congress in the Tax Cut and Jobs Act of 2017 to encourage long-term investments in low-income and urban communities nationwide. Governor Dayton nominated 128 census tracts for designation; which were then certified as qualified Opportunity Zones on May 18, 2018, by the U.S. Department of Treasury. You can view the Minnesota Opportunity Zone census tracts (pictured right) here. Enterprise Community Partners has a tool for locating designated Opportunity Zones throughout the United States.
Over the coming months, the federal government will release additional FAQs, revenue procedures, and perhaps an interim or proposed rule.
On our call, we’ll discuss what local communities, as well as development and lending partners, should be considering in advance of more explicit federal and state guidance. We’ll also cover how to better understand the potential of Opportunity Zones, explore investment funds, develop project pipelines, and establish community values for potential projects.
Your questions will be helpful to our conversation! This conference call will be facilitated by Elizabeth Glidden, Director of Strategic Initiatives and Policy for Minnesota Housing Partnership. Please direct questions to Elizabeth at firstname.lastname@example.org or (612) 396-2288.
Check out the material below to dig into background on Opportunity Zones!
- “An Introduction to Opportunity Zones and Funds” (slide deck from Twin Cities LISC and Duluth LISC)
- Minnesota’s Opportunity Zone census tracts (MN DEED)
- Opportunity Zones Mapping Tool (Novogradac)
- Opportunity Zones Eligibility Tool (Opportunity 360)
- Opportunity Zones 101 (LISC white paper)
- “Unlocking Private Capital to Facilitate Growth” (Economic Innovation Group white paper)
- “Opportunity Zones and Tax Credits: A Match Made In…?” (Affordable Housing Finance)
- Resources and Tools (LISC)