Minnesota Housing Partnership (MHP) seeks a Communications Manager who will lead a broad range of strategic communications work in Minnesota and beyond. The Communications Manager develops and implements communications plans that advance policy campaigns, build the public narrative, translate housing data and trends into compelling graphics and messages, and promote the work of our national technical assistance team serving rural and Native communities. This is a fast-paced and varied role that requires an entrepreneurial spirit, a strategic thinker, and someone who enjoys a team environment. Building relationships within MHP and with housing community and advocacy partners is important to this role. This position will serve as an active consultant, advisor, and creative partner to all MHP departments. View a comprehensive packet with more information and application instructions here.
Job Title: Communications Manager
Reports to: Deputy Executive Director
Application Deadline: Monday, June 14, 2021
Job Purpose: MHP seeks a Communications Manager with a passionate commitment to grow MHP’s reputation and value to the affordable housing community in Minnesota and beyond. MHP’s Communications Manager will lead development and implementation of internal and external communication strategies that advance MHP’s mission and build strong public narratives, prioritizing race equity throughout. A key role of the Communications Manager is to translate research, policy, and community-based work into compelling infographics, engaging stories, and professionally designed reports. The Communications Manager will create a range of communications deliverables, partner with MHP’s leadership and key stakeholders to uncover content opportunities, prioritize needs, and use visionary messaging to tell MHP’s story and reach new audiences.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Creation of reports, collateral, and design assets
- Create graphic design for high-quality materials, including MHP’s research reports, collateral materials, infographics, and event promotion and/or coordinate vendor support for designed materials.
- Execute data visualization skills, including translation of housing data and trends into usable infographics.
- Manage existing and creation of new MHP communications assets: logos, templates, infographics, fact sheets, maps, presentations, etc.
- Messaging creation
- Lead creation of messaging strategy about MHP, the work of its departments, and research reports.
- Collaborate with MHP departments to develop public-facing content across major communications channels.
- Drive content creation for major MHP communications channels including newsletter design and content, blog creation, and library of testimonials and/or coordinate staff and vendor support for content creation.
- Provide strategic support for MHP policy campaigns and coalition campaigns, with message and content development.
- Build, coordinate, and maintain media list and relationships with key local and state media; draft and distribute press releases and media alerts to targeted media lists.
- Pursue earned media (PR) opportunities based on news cycle and newsworthy content opportunities, including earned media opportunities for the Executive Manager.
- Social media, website, digital assets
- Oversight of social media channels, website, and newsletter design.
- Create and maintain catalog of digital assets, including photos and videos along with releases as appropriate.
- Communications leadership, planning, department support
- Lead strategy for all communications work, including creation of communications plans for products and campaigns, creation of MHP’s annual communications workplan and equity strategic action plan, and strategic planning for communications functions.
- Oversee the production of marketing communications to promote the mission, vision, and activities of the organization.
- Update and develop a crisis communications plan, succession plan, ADA-communications compliance plan, and other special plans as identified.
- Support department and organizational communications needs as capacity permits including editing, strategic communications advice, internal communications support, and participation in third-party beneficiary contracts.
- Support data management and maintenance of CRM tool as it relates to communications needs.
- Participation in state-level coalition and movement-building work.
- Manage communications vendor contracts.
KSA: (knowledge, skills, and abilities)
- Data visualization and design skills, with experience applying these skills in a professional environment.
- Proficiency in Adobe InDesign and Adobe Illustrator.
- Experience with multiple communications platforms including websites, blogs, social media, and print media.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills; ability to tell a compelling story to diverse audiences, from tenants to bankers to legislators.
- Commitment to anti-racist practices as part of professional, department, and organizational work.
- General knowledge of policy environment and/or non-partisan issues campaigns.
- Strong collaboration skills and the desire to be a part of a diverse team; ability to engage in critical thinking and willing to share creative ideas in order to co-create work product.
- Efficient multi-tasker with flexibility in adapting to short deadlines and a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to cultivate relationships and pursue partnerships that provide new and diverse perspectives in affordable housing advocacy and community development for MHP communications.
- 3-5 years of experience in a position with communications as a primary component.
Licenses and/or Certifications: None.
Direct Reports: None.
- MHP offers a dynamic, collaborative, and flexible work environment, where we value work-life balance. MHP offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package.
- MHP is an equal opportunity employer committed to social, racial, gender, and economic justice. We strongly encourage Black, Indigenous, people of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, and persons with disabilities to apply.